Tuesday, June 7, 2011

"Red Zones" really?

When I went to school, there was no such thing as a "red zone". I went to an ---get this-- un-air conditioned Middle School and only ONCE did we get out because it was "too hot".... When I was little, we WALKED to the pool, to the library and community center and to get things to eat during the summer and it would have been considered "red zone" weather. Missouri/Kansas weather has not changed a whole lot. We still have the heat and the humidity.

Here is a link to explain the red zone: ChildCare Weather Watch

This is my rant. No wonder children never want to play outside. They are told by their parents and teachers that it is "too hot" or "too cold". So, they all sit in a climate controlled building all the time.

My children, if you know them, cannot stand being inside. They want to ride bikes, play at the park, play baseball, go swimming....they like to stay active.

While I understand the part about the sunburns, dehydrations, whatever else people come up with.......aren't those th reasons for sunscreen, water bottles and all these things we have to make outdoor play available.

I am going to camp next week with Girl Scouts and I know that it will be in the "Red Zone" all week. But, then again, that is why we have water and sunscreen. To keep use hydrated and to protect our skin. I went last year at the very end of July, where it was over 100 degrees each day and guess what? No heat related problems happened at all in the whole camp....

On another note: My new MU shirt has been shipped! Woo hoo! I wish they would have had children's sizes. I would have purchased 3 more!

No comments:

Post a Comment